Sunday, June 15, 2014

Making Quilts with a 5-Year-Old

It has come as no surprise that my little girl wanted to make a quilt.
My big girl making her own quilt, the Heart Rag Quilt.
www.prettypleatquilts.blogspot.com

So we started one. I designed the pattern, then we went to Fabricland to pick out some fabric.

She traced the hearts and cut them out using little Fiskar scissors. Then we appliqued them on and stuffed them with stuffing. (We are using Crayola Washable Markers, so let's hope they stand up to their name of "washable.")

It went well. I like the pattern I developed because it is simple enough for her to do 100% of the stitching, but also not going to take us months and months to do.

The pattern is now available on Etsy. Teach your kids to sew. There is nothing more exciting than making something for yourself.

No comments :